I thought it was time to post an update on the progress with the propagators and greenhouse.
March and April were productive months with some successes and other inexplicable failures.
The begonias, both 'Tom Foolery' and 'Destiny' started in December 2016 are making good steady progress. The Rudbeckia and Calendula germination rates in January and February 2017 were very poor. The French Marigold germination rates have been well below previous years.
In this picture there are French Marigold, Lobelia, Begonia and Petunia seedlings.
In the background there are also young Fuchsia plants together with well developed French Marigold plants i kept over the winter of 2016/17.
On one of the lower shelves of the greenhouse there are Begonia(Destiny'), Begonia 'Tom Foolery', Dahlia and Lupin seedlings.
The Begonia 'Destiny' and 'Tom Foolery' seedlings were grown from seeds gathered from the 2016 plants.
At the back of the greenhouse there are Begonia 'Destiny' and 'Tom Foolery' and Lobelia seedlings together with Dahlia tubers and young Fuchsia plants.
Currently the seedlings are at stages of development that match the phased approach i took to planting so with a little bit of luck i should have two waves of plants to use. In the past i have found it quite difficult to handle all the plants when they all reach maturity at the same time and sadly some would be wasted. I have used this approach for a few years and it has been quite successful.